Pre Pregnancy Advice
Pre Pregnancy Advice
Why it is important to have a PRE PREGNANCY ADVICE?
Are you planning for a pregnancy? It is an important step towards the most incredible journey.
The time before you conceive is called the preconception period. It would be prudent to meet a gynaecologist to reduce the risks of the would-be mother and baby. This pregnancy assessment and advice is also relevant for their spouses as their lifestyle and health may affect the pregnancy.
Pre conception consult covers following factors-
- The details of previous pregnancies, their course, any complications during pregnancy, mode of delivery (normal or caesarean), post delivery problems.
- Details of the menstrual cycle to access any complications in conceiving.
- Assessment of the lifestyle with particular reference to smoking, alcohol intake, weight issues (over or underweight) and recreational drug abuse. The harmful effects of smoking, alcohol and drugs are well known and these have especially been proven to be very hazardous during pregnancy causing miscarriage, birth defects, improper growth of the baby, premature delivery, and even death of the baby in the womb in some cases.
- Planning a pregnancy is a big motivation to achieve ideal or near ideal body weight. Being over or severely underweight may cause difficulty in conceiving and other pregnancy related complications.
- Obesity in particular, may cause delay in conceiving and increases the risk of miscarriage, birth defects, diabetes during pregnancy. It also reduces the chance of having a normal delivery and may complicates the recovery.
- Certain viral diseases like chicken pox and rubella (German measles) can be disastrous during pregnancy. The doctor will access the immunity against these conditions and advice vaccination if required.
- Existing problems/ diseases such as diabetes, high blood pressure, asthma, epilepsy, thyroid disorders etc will be considered. A multidisciplinary approach (involving an obstetrician/gynaecologist, relevant physicians, dietician, counsellor etc) will be taken for safe pregnancy.
- Any relevant condition in the family will be discussed such as any genetic diseases, Thalassaemia, twins, or other medical disorders like diabetes, hypertension, thyroid disorders etc. If required, a genetic counselling session will be arranged with a clinical geneticist for certain special situations.
- A thorough dental check up is recommended. Any dental problems such as cavities etc should be addressed before pregnancy so as to minimise the risks.
- Certain tests would be advised & reviewed by the doctor.
- Discuss all the concerns and queries regarding the future pregnancy.