The technological stride in the 21st century is nothing short of a revolution. There is no doubt that with the advent of the internet, the digital wellness and wireless connectivity does ease our lives. However, even though the pros are noticeable and much appreciated, overlooking the cons of wireless communication can have serious health implications.
Microwave Radiation (MWR) emitted by wireless devices is of critical concern. Its potential effect on young’uns, children and babies especially. Basis the data, researchers have established a link between MWR and cancer.
A review published in the Journal of Microscopy and Ultrastructure by L. Lloyd Morgan establishes that children and fetuses face an elevated health risk than adults from microwave radiation emitted by wireless devices. Furthermore, the panel looked at the cell phone exposure studies to establish that unborn babies are more susceptible to bodily damage because of cell phone radiation. A few highlights of the study are as follows:
- MWR is a Class 2B (possible) carcinogen
- Children absorb more microwave radiation than adults
- Unborn babies (fetuses) absorb more microwave radiation than children
- The legal MWR exposure limits have remained unchanged for years
The brain tissues of children and unborn babies are much more absorbent which increases their health risk from microwave radiation. Moreover, the skulls and bones of children are thinner, and relatively smaller making them more prone to these harmful radiations. The same study also concluded that fetuses are highly vulnerable to MWR exposure. In fetuses, microwave radiation can lead to degeneration of protective sheath that surrounds the neurons in the brain.
Safety Tips to Protect Children from Microwave Radiation
Dr. Vineet Govinda Gupta, Associate Consultant, Max Super Speciality Hospital, Shalimar Bagh gives us a few safety tips on how we can keep our children away from cell phones.
- Keep Distance – Maintaining distance from cell phones is the best way to keep children protected. Additionally, pregnant women must limit exposure to cell phone radiation, primarily by keeping cell phones away from sensitive areas like stomach, head, ears etc. Using the phone on speaker or using earphones is highly advisable.
- Limiting Night Usage – Turning off the phone, computer and Wi-Fi at night can cut down the risk from microwave radiation and even aid in better sleep.
- Airplane Mode – Switching to airplane mode or turning off the internet on the phone when not using it can reduce microwave radiation.
- Wired Internet – Using wired internet (LAN) instead of wireless (Wi-Fi) can minimize extra radiation inside the home.
- Clean Your Child’s Room – Getting rid of devices and toys that emit MWR from your children’s room can minimize health risks.
- Avoid Making Calls in Enclosed Areas – Areas such as elevators, buses and trains are enclosed and make the cell phone work hard to get a signal. It is advised not to make calls inside these areas.
Recent research points to the possible sinister influence of MWR and radiofrequency energy in cancer induction, an area of active research. Since children constitute a high-risk population, it is recommended to restrict their exposure to the radiation.
We at Max Healthcare, the pioneers of cancer treatment in India suggest that children and pregnant women should be kept away from microwave radiations as much as possible.