September 21, 2016
1 minute, 29 seconds read
Cardiac Sciences, Cardiology
The holy trinity of good health depends on how you are giving up your sedentary lifestyle to avoid heart problems. Here a few disease prevention tips that will get you started:
- Don't smoke or use tobacco in any form
- Exercise for minimum 30 - 45 minutes on most days of the week
- Eat a heart-healthy diet, rich in fresh fruits, vegetables, fiber, low trans fats,
- Diabetes screening and prevention and good control of blood sugar.
- Control of Blood Pressure
- Control of Lipid Profile (low total cholesterol, low LDL & high HDL is desirable)
- Obesity - Control of weight and BMI.
Goal of Treatment
High blood pressure and heart diseases are interrelated because they are checked by the doctor at the same time. It has been observed that people have greater awareness about heart health, despite that they are suffering from serious heart conditions. The table below depicts the ideal range of your test results:
|HbA1C (in diabetes)
||< 6.5 - 7.0% (individualization)
70 - 130 mg/dl
|Post meal glucose
||< 180 mg/dL
||< 130/80 mmHg
LDL <100mg/dL and <70mg/dL (in proven heart patients)
HDL In Males >40mg/dL and Females >50 mg/dL
TG <150 mg/dL
Following six changes in your life style may reduce your risk of a first or second heart attack by 90 - 95%.
||Change in life style
Decrease in Heart Disease Risk
Maintain ideal weight and waist size
||30 minutes of daily walking
||35 - 55%
||Five or more servings (one - half of the plate) of fruits and vegetables
||66 - 85%
|High blood pressure
||10 mmHg decrease in systolic blood pressure pressure
16%- 42% decrease in stroke
||< 100 mg/dl decrease with or without drugs
|All six changes!
90 - 95%!