You just had your cholesterol test done last week and wondering what are your results going to be? Whether the numbers would be high enough to go for a treatment? Or what should be the ideal number for you to avoid treatment? We all want a heart healthy lifestyle and that can be ensured if we keep a regular check on our levels of cholesterol. There are two types of Cholesterol: Good cholesterol aka high density lipoprotein (HDL) and Bad cholesterol aka low-density lipoprotein (LDL). HDL may lower the risk of heart attack and stroke as it carries LDL from the blood and artery to the liver whereas LDL accumulates plaque in arteries.
Are Cholesterol numbers really important?
Yes! Besides consuming food items with less cholesterol, maintaining your blood cholesterol is vital too. If the latter is high, then we are prone to serious cardiovascular diseases that require quick attention. It is important to keep a record of our blood levels as they are an integral part of tracking and assessing the treatment required. For instance, a simple food like having an egg seems so controversial. But it might be a good to inquire about the healthy or ill effects of these power packed protein item. The question arises: Should you stop eating eggs if you cholesterol is high? We all agree, eggs are one form of complete food and they help in reducing cancer and blood pressure. However, when having high cholesterol, cut your intake from three omelettes to one omelette or even better have egg white to fullfill the protein intake.
Few Facts you Did not know about Cholesterol
❖ Food is healthy for heart if it says 0 mg cholesterol
❖ Even children can have high cholesterol: So it is recommended that children below 9years of age go for cholesterol screening, its genetic
❖ During pregnancy women have high LDL cholesterol levels. It is matter of concern if it remains high after giving birth. However, breast milk provides heart health security to baby, thereby reducing the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
❖ Cholesterol is easily visible around the cornea of eyes and on eye lids, but they do not necessarily indicate a heart problem
❖ Thin people can also suffer from cholesterol problem
❖ Having high cholesterol is a problem for both men and women
❖ Cholesterol should be checked not only when you are middle aged, but prior
❖ Low cholesterol is not always good for your health
Immediate Tips to Lower Cholesterol
1. Lose weight quickly; shed the extra flab by exercising moderately for 20 to 25 mins.
2. Walk approximately 10,000 steps for a well-maintained body
3. Stay away from animal fats like processed meats, salami, beef, pork etc. Also, avoid dairy products like cream, cheese, butter, and whole milk
4. Consume high fibre carbohydrates like beans, lentils, oatmeals, and fruits
5. Work out a rigorous cardiovascular routine for 90 minutes to keep your heart healthy and weight under control
6. Plant based products like soup, salads are advisable
7. We all want to be healthy and ensure that our daily activities do not get hampered with heart wrenching disease. If you are experiencing excessive shortness of breath, chest pain, palpitations, it is advisable for you to go for a check up