When we are introduced to a person, the first attribute we notice unintentionally is their Smile. It can leave a lasting impression on people and plays a key role in their confidence and self esteem. Many of us who are not blessed with that perfect smile, try to shy away or are conscious to express themselves completely.
But the good news is that there is no need to be disheartened anymore. Welcome to the world of Smile Makeover. With the advancement of dental technology, a person can now achieve the perfect Hollywoodsmile they always dreamt of.
WHAT DOES A SMILE MAKEOVER MEAN?
Smile makeover can be defined in simple words as a procedure, which enables us to transform an imperfect and unattractive smile into a beautiful aesthetically pleasing smile by means of various dental procedures.
These procedures could include the use of composite or ceramic veneers, metal free crowns, dental implants, teeth whitening, gum contouring and Orthodontics.
WHO COULD NEED A SMILE MAKEOVER?
A Smile makeover could be meant for anyone who would like to improve and enhance his or her smile.
It could be beneficial in any of the following cases:
- Discolored teeth
- Worn down and chipped teeth
- Spaces in between teeth
- Maligned and crooked teeth
- Protruding teeth
- Missing teeth
- Uneven Gum architecture or gum pigmentation
- Disproportionate teeth which are not in harmony with the facial features of the individual
WHAT DOES A SMILE MAKEOVER INVOLVE?
A smile makeover is performed by a trained aesthetic dentist who has the eye to read and envision the final result before the treatment is begun. This involves a set of steps, which need to be followed.
PICTURES AND MODELS:
The first step involves the use of a professional high definition DSLR camera to record a set of patient pictures that help the dentist and the lab technician formulate the desired results. Patient’s maxillary and mandibular impressions and the bite are also recorded.
COMPUTER IMAGING / WAX UP:
The next step involves smile designing in which the lab technician or the aesthetic dentist will actually design the new desired smile on the patient’s model using wax. This will enable both the dentist and the patient to realistically envision the desired final result.
Due to the advent of dental technology,computer imaging can also be used to design the new smile, and for the patient to get a better understanding of what to expect.
MOCK UP / TRIAL SMILE:
Mock up or trial smile is a technique to transfer the newly designed smile (wax up) onto the patients existing unaltered teeth. This not only helps the patient and dentist judge and make the necessary alterations aesthetically but also helps the patient achieve functional stability. This means that at this stage we could get a fair idea of how the final result would look without causing any hindrance to the patient’s bite and occlusion.
The greatest advantage of this mock up is that the patient at this stage canenvision the final result and decide if they approve of the new smile design, make the necessary changes and proceed with the treatment or even refuse to go ahead with the treatment plan. No sound tooth structure is altered at this stage.
WHICH DENTAL PROCEDURES ARE INVOLVED IN SMILE MAKEOVER?
The desired smile is achieved by using one of the following procedures:
- CERAMIC VENEERS / LAMINATES: are thin layers of porcelain cemented on the outer surface of the tooth enamel, to achieve the desired aesthetic and functional result. This may involve minimal preparation/ trimming of the tooth enamel. These shells are bonded to the front of the teeth changing their color, shape, size, or length.
- COMPOSITE VENEERS: similar to ceramic veneers, but instead of porcelain, composite material is used.
- METAL FREE CROWNS:A Crownis a tooth shaped "cap" that is placed over a tooth to cover and restore its shape and size, strength, and improve its appearance. A metal free crown generally uses E max or Zirconia Crowns.
- TEETH WHITENING: is a process of whitening the color of the teeth using bleaching gels. This can be performed instantly at the dentist’s office or over a period of time at the convenience and comfort of the patient’s home.
- DENTAL BRIDGES: is a procedure, which replaces one or more missing teeth by the support of the adjacent abutment teeth.In simple words,dental bridges literally bridge the gap created by one or more missing teeth. This involves the preparation of the abutment teeth to incorporate the bridge.
- DENTAL IMPLANTS:are used to replace missing tooth roots without involving the adjacent healthy natural teeth. This involves a procedure in which a titanium screw is surgically drilled in the maxillary or mandibular site of the missing tooth. After the dental Implant is firmly integrated in the bone a crown can be placed to restore the masticatory function and the desired aesthetics.
- GINGIVAL COUTOURING /CROWN LENGHTHING: involves the correction of the gingival architecture in order to achieve the correct tooth proportion thereby improving the aesthetics.
- GINGIVAL DEPIGMENTATION: involves the removal of the black pigmentation on the gingival tissues.
- DENTAL BONDING:Dental bonding is a procedure in which a tooth colored resinmaterial is applied and hardened with a special light, which ultimately "bonds" the material to the tooth to restore or improve person's smile.
HOW MUCH TIME AND VISITS DOES A SMILE MAKEOVER TAKE?
The time taken for a smile makeover depends on the extent of the smile and aesthetic transformation.
In most of the cases where dental Implants are not involved, the treatment can be completed in less than two weeks and involves just a few visits.
IS THE TREATMENT PAINFULL?
If the treatment is performed by a trained aesthetic specialist ,who follows the correct guidelines and measures, then the entire treatment should involve minimal tono pain.
To conclude, a better-enhanced smile does not only make a person look aesthetically pleasing and more attractive, but also helps them improve their self-confidence and quality of life.
So rather than waiting and hoping for a better smile, now you can actually make your dream a reality.
Smile now for a better tomorrow.