What do you know about Varicose Veins?
Most commonly known as varicoses or varicosities, “Varicose Veins” are enlarged, swollen and twisted veins. Purple or blue in colour, they often appear on thighs, legs and ankles. Approximately, 25% women and 15% men seek treatment for varicose veins.
How do Varicose Veins develop?
Veins have one-way valves, which open to allow the blood to flow towards the heart and close to stop the blood from flowing backwards. Normally, the valves in the legs allow the blood to flow against the gravity towards the heart. If these valves do not function properly due to weakness or any damage, the blood flows back and gets accumulated in the veins, thereby enlarging the veins and making them varicose.
What are the causes of Varicose Veins?
- Prolonged standing
- Abdominal straining
- Hormonal problems
- Post phlebitis obstruction or incontinence
- Venous and arteriovenous malformations
Know Signs and Symptoms of Varicose Veins
Initially, most of the people do not feel any pain or discomfort, but they may observe:
- Veins look twisted, swollen and lumpy (bulging)
- Appear blue or dark purple
Some patients may experience:
- Pain in Legs
- Legs feel heavy, especially after exercise or at night
- Swollen ankles
- Shiny skin discolouration usually brown or blue near varicose veins
- Skin in the affected area is red, itchy and dry
- While standing up, you may experience leg cramps
Are there any complications?
- You can develop painful ulcers near the varicose veins with brown pigmentation
- Veins that are deep in the legs develop swelling and enlargement
- Blood clotting in the affected areas
Types of Varicose Veins
- Spider veins
- Reticular varices
- Varicose vein trunk
- Chronic venous insufficiency
- Tropic ulcer
How can Varicose Veins be Diagnosed?
Your doctor will examine your legs and veins while you are sitting or standing to diagnose varicose veins. They may ask you about any pain or symptoms you’re having. He may also want to do an ultrasound to check your blood flow, to see how the blood is flowing in your veins. The doctors may be conservative when treating varicose veins. You’ll probably be advised to make changes to your lifestyle, instead of trying more aggressive treatments.
Which Lifestyle Changes?
Dr. Manish Agrawal, Senior Consultant, Department of General Surgery and Robotics, puts together the following points for us to understand what changes can help us to prevent varicose veins:
- Avoid standing for prolonged periods of time
- Lose weight or maintain a healthy weight
- Exercise to improve your leg strength
- Refrain from crossing your legs for extended periods of time
- Elevate your legs whenever you are resting or sleeping
- Wear compression stockings as it increases the blood flow to your heart
Note- Your doctor advises you with such invasive procedure if lifestyle changes are not working or if your pain is severe.
Treatment of Varicose Veins
Endovenous Laser Ablation (ELVA) – Is a simple treatment that closes the varicose veins. A laser is threaded through a tiny incision made in a full-length varicose vein. This laser energy generates heat which destroys the vein by causing it to collapse and seal shut. As the laser is slowly withdrawn, heat applied to the vein walls causes the veins to permanently close and disappear.
Thus, all the abnormal dilated damaged veins are burnt off. These burnt veins heal with fibrous (permanent sticking) and thus abnormal superficial veins are not used in blood circulation. The body reroutes the blood through healthier veins. No other tissues in the legs are affected in the process. Surgeons discuss the procedure in details after they determine that it is appropriate to treat your varicose veins by laser intervention.
What are the advantages of Laser Treatment?
- Higher success rate and low recurrence rate
- Minimal invasive procedure and minimal pain
- Less or no scar
- Minimal postoperative pain
- Faster recovery
- Surgery doesn’t take more than an hour
Why Choose Us?
- Experienced and Skilled Team: When you choose our clinic, you tap into our pool years of expertise and trust
- Comfortable Treatment: Your care and satisfaction is our utmost priority. We ensure it with our carefully chosen medical procedures and treatment techniques.
- World-class Medical Technology: We use a top graded laser device to offer you much more effective, minimally invasive, safer and cosmetically preferential treatment.