A healthy diet, rich in antioxidants is known to be very beneficial in preventing cancer. According to the American Cancer Society, you should eat at least 5-servings of fruits and vegetables daily. The vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals in fruits and vegetables prevent cells from undergoing cancerous transformations and help to slow the growth of tumors. Anti-oxidants are responsible for fighting radical-related damage and oxidative stresses in the body.
Here is a delicious salad recipe which taps all the cancer-fighting benefits of some common vegetables.
(This preparation serves 6)
For the dressing:
- 1/3 cup grapeseed/olive oil
- 1/2 cup lemon juice, fresh
- 1 tablespoon ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 tbs whole grain mustard
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup, (optional)
- Salt to taste
For the salad:
- 2 cups dinosaur kale, thinly sliced
- 2 cups red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 large carrots, grated
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 avocados
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1. Take all the ingredients for the dressing and whisk them all in a bowl until the dressing becomes smooth.
2. In a large serving bowl add the chopped kale, cabbage, broccoli, bell pepper, and carrots.
3. Pour some dressing over the salad and toss all the vegetable pieces until they are all evenly coated.
4. Finally, add the chopped parsley, diced avocado and toss again.Garnish with sesame seeds and walnuts.
This salad can be served alongside the main course or can be had on its own, according to your choice.
Dr. Ritika Samaddar says, that this extremely flavourful and nutritious salad has rich antioxidant content, which is great for fighting cancer. This is a very simple salad which can easily become anyone's favourite. Follow a healthy diet and eat right for a healthy life.