Many gallstones may show no symptoms but are detected in an ultrasound, which might be done for some other disease.
Approximately 12% of the population has gallstones but only a few of them cause problems. Now, with “Mini Laparoscopic Chole”, you have an option for stitch-less and scar-less surgery.
Dr. K. K. Trehan says, the size of gallstones may vary from small grains to very large stones. The complications can include empyema (acute inflammation associated with pus-filled gallbladder), obstructed jaundice (stone-slipped in the common bile duct), and acute pancreatitis.
What are the common symptoms of gall stones?
- Severe upper abdominal pain
- Chronic diarrhoea
- Pain extending to right shoulder blade or back
- Heart burn
- Vomiting, nausea and fullness
- Chest pain
Is there any treatment available for gall stones?
Removal of gall bladder has no adverse effect on the body and it does not require any dietary change. But the treatment choice available for gallstones is the surgical removal of gall bladder. Below are the options available for gallstones:
- OPEN/ CONVENTIONAL CHOLE: Before laparoscopic surgery came in, gall bladder surgery required a long transverse incision in upper right abdomen. Patient was required to stay in hospital for 4 to 5 days. Post-operative pain was significant and return to work was almost for 3 to 4 weeks.
- LAPAROSCOPIC CHOLE: Laparoscopic Chole is now the gold standard for treatment of gall stones and one of the common laparoscopic operation done in the world. It requires four incisions, two of which are 10 mm and two are of 5mm. After inflating the abdomen with carbon dioxide gas, the surgery is completed using laparoscopic instruments.
- SINGLE INCISION LAPAROSCOPIC SURGERY: A single incision of 2 cm is given in navel and through which three ports of 5mm size are placed. The surgery is technically challenging and reserved for “simple gall bladder”.
- MINI LAPAROSCOPIC CHOLE: The procedure requires one 10 mm port and three 2/3 mm incisions in the upper abdomen. As compared to Laparoscopic Chole, the mini laparoscopy has distinctive advantages like decreased post-operative pain, scar less, stitch-less surgery, and shorter hospital stay. The procedure can be performed as day care procedure.