Let’s see if you are stroke smart. Below are eleven questions based on general knowledge about stroke. Try and answer them and then score yourself to see if you are a Stroke Novice or a Stroke GOD. Every question is one point.
1. What is Stroke?
- Is it how you swim?
- Related to cricket?
- A brain emergency
- A heart disease.
- Its bad, but I don’t know what it is exactly
Answer: Stroke is rapid and sudden damage to the brain. Also known as brain attack or paralytic attack.
2. How common is a stroke?
- Very rare, haven’t heard anything about it.
- It's common but I will never see it in my life.
- Who cares!!!
- It’s so common that someone close to me might be having one right now.
Answer D: Stroke is the third leading cause of death, after coronary heart disease and cancer. On average, someone in the United States has a stroke every 40 seconds. More women die of stroke than of breast cancer.
3. Which organ does stroke affect?
- Cricket bat
Answer A: Brain, Brain, Brain.
4. How do you diagnose Stroke?
- Stroke is painful, chest pain may occur.
- Stroke can cause a lot of symptoms like weakness, numbness, slurred speech etc.
- Stroke can’t be diagnosed it is happening quietly inside the body.
- Only doctors can diagnose it.
Answer B: Stroke can cause a lot of symptoms like weakness, numbness, slurred speech etc. Most of the strokes are painless. Stroke can be diagnosed reliably by patients and their relatives. In fact, its easy to diagnose stroke, keep reading....
STROKE: REMEMBER THE 7 S METHOD TO DIAGNOSE STROKE
SUDDEN (symptoms usually start suddenly)
SLURRED SPEECH ( speech is not clear, as if drunk)
SIDE WEAK ( face, arm or leg or all three can get weak)
SPINNING (VERTIGO) and disbalance.
Sight ( sudden loss of vision)
SECONDS (note the time when the symptoms start and rush to the hospital).
5. Who is at risk of having Stroke?
- Stroke affects old people only.
- Stroke affects unhealthy old people.
- Stroke can affect young and the old generation.
- Babies don’t have a stroke.
Answer C: Up to one-third of stroke patients belong to the age group of 20 to 60. Even babies can have a stroke.
6. Is paralysis/ stroke treatable?
- No way. It’s permanent.
- May be, Ayurveda or homeopathy may help.
- Yes, Yes, Yes
Answer C: Yes. Newer treatment modalities have changed the paradigm of stroke treatment. Stroke is very much treatable and the patients do extremely well.
7. What should you do if someone close to you has a stroke?
- Lay them on the floor and get them some water.
- Wait for the symptoms to get better.
- Ask them to sleep, may be they are tired.
- Rush to the hospital.
Answer D: Rush to the hospital immediately. Don’t waste time. The longer you wait the more brain injury happens. Brain loses 1900000 brain cells every minute.
8. How bad is stroke?
- Not really, no one dies of a stroke.
- Stroke can kill you!
- The stroke will get better, just stay calm.
- Stroke is like flu. It will pass over.
Answer B: Over 15% of people who have had a stroke die within 30 days, and 15-30% of people who survive a stroke are permanently disabled.
9. Is it worse in women or men?
- Doesn’t matter.
- Men have more strokes but, women die more often.
Answer D: Women have a higher stroke mortality rate than men. Six in ten stroke deaths occur in women, largely due to strokes occurring later in life in women, when strokes are more dangerous.
10. Is it preventable?
- No, it’s your karma
- Yes, of course, you don’t need a doctor.
- I am not sure
- It all in the genes.
Answer B: Yes, it is. Control BP, sugar and cholesterol. Stop smoking. Active life style and daily exercise prevent stroke. Some stroke may be genetic though.
11. Until how long is the recovery possible?
- 1 week and then no recovery is seen.
- 1 month
- 1 year
- 2 years.
Answer D: People seem to think that recovery is only possible for the first few days after stroke, however, patients can continue to recover with physical therapy for up to a year in most cases and sometimes recovery is seen even at 2 years.
Stroke SMART score:
0-4: Stroke Novice
5-7: Stroke Player
8-10: Stroke Pro
11: Stroke GOD