Time is of the essence when it comes to neurological ailments. Be it a stroke, aneurysm or head trauma, fast, safe and timely intervention is essential for a good outcome of the patient. Keeping this in mind, the best hospitals in India are investing in Biplane Cath Labs for Neuro-intervention.
This technology aids in the Diagnosis as well as treatment of disorders related to brain spinal cord, neck and face.
- Digital subtraction cerebral angiography
- Digital subtraction spinal angiography
- Cerebral aneurysm,
- Subarachnoid hemorrhage
- Stroke/ Paralytic attack
- Intracranial hemorrhage
- Carotid Stenosis/blockage
- Brain arteriovenous malformation (AVM)
- Spinal arteriovenous malformation and fistula
- Cerebral Venous Sinus Thrombosis
- Inferior Petrosal Sinus Sampling
- Carotid-cavernous fistula (CCF)
- Dural arteriovenous fistula
- Extracranial (brachiocephalic) atherosclerosis
- Extracranial (head and neck) and paraspinal vascular malformations
- Head and neck tumors(paraganglionomas, acoustic neuromas)
- Intracranial atherosclerosis
- Tumor embolization of Meningiomas and brain tumors.
- Nasal angiofibromas embolization
- Facial AVM embolization
- Intraocular chemotherapy
- Traumatic vascular lesions
- Traumatic Brain Injury
How does the Biplane system work?
Dr. Chandril Chugh, Senior Consultant and Head of Interventional Neurology of Max Super Speciality Hospital, Saket says, The biplane system produces high-resolution 3D images of the blood vessels to the brain. As the brain blood vessel is highly complex high-quality imaging ensures safety to the patient and is paramount in delivering good results.
This system uses 2 sets of imaging sources & rotating cameras, each moving freely and independently, capturing the image at the rate of 30 frames/ second and from 2 regions of the patient’s head – front to back & side to side. Colourful, detailed, real-time images of the blood vessels are shown on a monitor, where the neuro-interventionalist rotates the image, to plan for further intervention.
This system works like a GPS for the neuro interventionist by providing a road map to reach the desired location in the brain. Good image quality enables the doctor to perform the procedure both expeditiously and safely at the same time. Interventional Neurologist can safely treat disorders like aneurysms, arterio-venous malformations (AVM), stroke, nose bleeds etc. using minimally invasive techniques and thus eliminating the need for open surgery. Using specialised microscopic tools, the neuro-interventionalist can coil and repair aneurysms, place scaffolds/stents in blood vessels to maintain a proper blood flow, cut off blood supply to tumours or AV malformations to stop further growth. Neuro interventionist also helps the neurosurgeons to treat complicated vascular tumours and intracranial haemorrhage. Due to the simultaneous imaging of 2 different areas, the amount of time to get the image & the amount of dye required is reduced significantly.
Advantages of biplane system:
- The advanced software technology that creates the detailed images of soft tissue and the blood vessels. This imaging helps visualise brain vessels, detect the primary site of haemorrhage & help the neuro-interventionalist make accurate and lifesaving decisions
- Minimally invasive endovascular procedures have revolutionised the field of brain and spine interventions and are replacing the need for open surgery. All over the world, these procedures are being done on a bi-plane machine due to it’s enhanced safety profile.
- In a biplane system, the images are captured simultaneously from 2 regions –frontal view, lateral view, oblique view- which makes the positioning and re-positioning of the patient less time-consuming. This ergonomic system is preferred over a single plane, where the positioning of the patient takes significantly longer.
- As mentioned before, the amount of radio-opaque dye used in a biplane system is considerably less compared to a single plane system. Therefore it decreases the risk of complications due to high volume dye usage.
- Biplane labs provide decreased radiation in comparison to single plane labs, thus are helpful in limiting radiation to the paediatric population. CT scan can be obtained in a minute during the procedure without shifting the patient to the neuroradiology department thus saving a significant time which is very crucial in neuro- intervention.
Biplane labs for neuro-intervention, while more expensive, are preferred by the best hospitals in India due to its advantage. For more information, please visit the neuroscience department of Max Hospitals.