June 14, 2018
1 minute, 6 seconds read
Obstetrics And Gynaecology
Pregnancy is a time for food cravings. A mom to be needs a good amount of nutrients during pregnancy for healthy weight gain and proper development of the baby's vital organs.
Junk foods certainly not help you meet these nutritional demands.
Here are some of the harmful effects of junk food on the pregnancy.
- Increased risk of allergies and asthmatic tendencies in the baby
- Chances of genetic abnormalities could be higher due to use of several agents to flavor food whose exact impact on the growing fetus is still a matter of debate and research.
- Excessive weight gain, which can put the pregnant woman and the baby at the risk of various complications, including preeclampsia, diabetes, increased risk of birth defects, slowing down of the baby's growth miscarriage, and stillbirths.
- Zero nutritional value: Junk food is full of refined sugar, salt, saturated fats, and cholesterol, which need to be avoided during pregnancy.
- Digestive problems: the junk foods lack fiber content, which is essential for smooth bowel movements. It can also cause bloating, belching and gastritis increasing dependence on medications.
Junk food satiates your taste buds but not your nutrient requirements. However, it doesn’t mean that you have to totally avoid a pizza, hamburger, French fries, cool drinks and more. An occasional feast is fine, but do not make it a habit.