Staff Nurse - ICU
I. JOB DETAILS
II. JOB PURPOSE
To assist in delivering high quality nursing care in the hospital.
· Awareness of the departmental vision, mission, objectives and its implementation.
· Performs the duties as per the role and expectation of a nurse in providing comprehensive patient care.
· Knowledge about the layout of the unit, number of patients and types of patient and their requirements.
· Interaction, co-operation and team spirit with other staff members.
· Performs assigned duties as per the department’s protocol
· Maintains all registers used in the unit.
· Accurate knowledge about the forms and formats
· Performs all special assignments as rostered.
· Demonstrates knowledge on AIDET (Acknowledge, Introduce, Duration, Explanation, Thank) and GST (Greet, smile, thank).
· Utilizes effective communication skills in reporting pertinent information on time.
· Maintains telephone etiquettes
· Maintains professional decorum and communicates in English/Hindi in the areas of work with colleagues.
· Address to the grooming standards laid down by the department
· Evaluates effectiveness of nursing care on patient condition
· Inform Team leader/Supervisor of current activities on the unit and reports unusual occurrence, incidents or other problems and also follow up as needed
· Utilizes changes of shift report to accurately and effectively to communicate patient condition and intervention
· Ensure all documentation is clear concise and timely. Utilize appropriate clinical terminology
· Performs independent problem solving and decision making in a logical and deliberate manner, utilizing available resources when needed
· Exhibits flexibility and adaptability to meet the needs of the patient and the unit
· Demonstrates understanding of emergency levels and effectively and safely responds to emergency situation in a calm constructive positive manner
· Formulates nursing care plan in context to care due, care given, safety first, PFE, diet and other needs in each shift noting patients needs, age, behavior and concerns identified through nursing assessment.
· Ensures that care is provided with a comprehensive approach always ensuring safety and clinical outcomes.
· Establishes priorities for nursing needs based on nursing assessment, problems identified and estimated length of stay.
· Actively participates in the development of interdisciplinary plan of care as per policy
· Ensures unmet needs are handed over to the next shift accurately
· Acts as liaison with the treatment team and other multidisciplinary staff ensuring accurate communications of relevant information
· Ensures evidence through accurate documentation.
· Assumes responsibility for personal and professional growth and development through participation at in service education programme, workshop, staff meetings, unit meeting and on the job training
· Will adhere to all safety policies and safe work practices.(Sharps policy, falls, communicable disease etc.)
· Adhere to all hospital policies and procedures.
· Participates in unit staff meeting, monthly meeting with Nursing Leadership, IDTR round which will enhance the quality of services provided to patient.
· Recognizes own limitation, seeks information and advice when unable to solve conflict/ problems on an individual basis. Maintains required professional licenses and updation of Registration
· Demonstrates competency in the following areas.
Ø Basic competency annual competency assessment and training.
Ø BLS / ACLS & PALS
Ø Fire Safety & Infection Control
Ø Radiation Safety & Proper use of biomedical equipment.
Ø NABH Standards
Ø Waste Management Policy
Ø Others as when scheduled
· Participates in identifying training needs for individual growth and
· Represents the hospital in a manner, which conveys a professional, courteous, caring and co – operative attitude.
· Is knowledgeable of patient rights and responsibilities and treats all patients with dignity and respect in a consistent and caring manner.
· Understands the need for and maintains appropriate confidentiality at all times when interacting with patients, family, visitors and all other contacts
· Exhibits excellent customer relations skills as evidenced by supportive and constructive communication with all contacts including co-workers, patient, visitors, families.
· Utilizes an open, non judgmental, non discriminatory, professional and therapeutic approach to treatment with all patients.
· Demonstrates professional behavior and interpersonal skills reflective of Max Healthcare mission statement and philosophy
· Complies with hospital, departmental and human resources policies.
· Promotes a safe work environment for self, patients and co-workers by complying with environment of care, safety, infection control and universal precaution guidelines.
· Maintains a neat, smart professional appearance consistent with hospital dress code
· Maintains scheduling requirements of attendance and punctuality in accordance with hospital policy
· Complies with standards of ethics in practice.
· Understands the need for appropriate patient staff boundaries and maintains a strict therapeutic relationship during active treatment. Discontinues communication with patient upon discharge. Informs charge Nurse / Supervisor of any patient contact after discharge.
· Turns negative service into a positive attitude. Able to reverse outcomes by looking for a positive approach
· Has a professional image. Represents the hospital well in a professional manner in attitude and work.
· Practices teamwork. Works within common vision and goal and cooperates with peers and superiors.
· Strives for excellence in all endeavors. Always looks for ways to work more effectively.
· Demonstrates knowledge and skills on intubation, extubation and weaning
· Knowledge on drug and fluid calculation
· Demonstrates skill on E.T & Tracheotomy suctioning & handling of high end equipments.
· Knowledge and management on ventilator care
· Is Knowledgeable about management of ICD/ Invasive devices.
· Is knowledgeable of Isolation and Barrier nursing.
· Demonstrates skill on nursing care of haemodynamically compromised patients.
Diploma in GNM/ BSC in Nursing
· 1-3 Years relevant experience
English & Hindi
Key Internal Contacts
· Nursing Supervisor
· Charge Nurse / Team Leader
· Consultants / Residents
· Nurse Educator / Infection Control
· Biomedical Engineer