Surgical and non-surgical treatments are performed based on the severity of the case. Below mentioned are few procedures that are performed by an ENT specialist
• Adenoidectomy and Tonsillectomy – These are the two most common procedures performed especially in children. Adenoidectomy is the procedure to remove the adenoids (small lumps of lymphoid tissue located close to the nasal cavity where the nose blends with the throat). Tonsillectomy is the procedure when the tonsils are removed. Tonsillectomy may be performed for reasons when the upper airway is partially or completely blocked by the tonsils.
• Myringotomy tube insertion – It is the one of the most common ear surgery. In this a tube is inserted to prevent recurrent infections of inner ear. In case any fluid is accumulated inside the ear, the insertions are made inside the ear to drain out the fluid from the middle ear to avoid hearing imbalance.
• Septoplasty – This is a procedure used to straighten the nasal septum (a separating structure in the nasal cavity). The abnormality or crookedness of the septum could impair one’s ability to breathe. This procedure is done through the nasal openings and does not require any external incision.
• Sinus surgery – Sinus surgery is done to remove and blockage in the sinus area or to enlarge the sinus openings for easier drainage.
• Tracheotomy – This procedure is used in cases where patients’ respiratory ability is seriously impaired and air cannot reach the lungs. A small opening in made in the trachea to allow air to reach the lungs.