Chemotherapy is a sort of therapy that is used to treat cancer; in this process chemical drugs are used to kill the rapidly growing cells in the body, which is the root cause of cancer. Unlike surgery and radiation therapy that destroy, remove or damage cancer cells in a certain area, Chemotherapy can work throughout the whole body, it may also be possible that chemotherapy may be given alone or with other treatments. A doctor who specializes in cancer treatment is known as an oncologist. There are three primary goals of chemotherapy: Cure, Control and to Ease Symptoms caused by cancer.
The cancer is a group of diseases where the body’s cells begin to divide and grow at abnormal speed and spread into surrounding tissues. As the growth of the cells increases, it turns into tumor, which can be further classified into benign tumor and malignant tumor.
Benign tumor do not spread or invade nearby tissues and when once removed, they don’t usually grow back. Whereas, malignant tumor are dangerous in nature as they spread or invade nearby tissues and they can spread to other parts of the body to form new tumor. These can be fatal in nature.
Now, coming to the causes, cancer is generally caused when there is a genetic defect. Cancer can be used due to the following reasons:
- Family history: The patient might have a family history of certain cancers, which is also one of the root causes of cancer.
- Cancer-causing substance: Cancer can be also caused due to exposure to a harmful substance present in the environment. The exposures may include substances such as tobacco smoke, radiation, ultraviolet rays, chemicals and more.
- Alcohol abuse: Drinking excessive alcohol can also cause cancer in the mouth, throat, liver and more. The risk of cancer is much higher for those people who drink alcohol and smoke tobacco on a regular basis. Then there are other causes of cancer mentioned below:
- Physical inactivity
- Poor nutrition
- Infectious Agents
It is difficult to detect the symptoms of cancer as each and every symptom of cancer can be also explained with a harmless condition. However, if the symptoms occur or persist for a longer period of time, one should seek doctor advice for further evaluation. Here is the list of some common symptoms:
- Change in bowel habits
- Blood in stool
- Breast lump
- A change in urination/ blood in urine
- Persistent lumps
- Change in skin colour
- Change in appetite
- Unexplained weight gain or loss
- Persistent weakness
If the patient is going through the above-mentioned symptoms, then it is advisable to seek doctor’s help. The doctor basically tries to find out the cause of cancer and he might also ask you about your personal and family medical history and perform some physical exam. The doctor may also ask for specific tests, scans or procedures which are as follows:
- Lab tests: The laboratory tests of the blood, urine and stool are usually the first steps to detect the abnormalities that may indicate the presence of cancer. However, these tests alone cannot diagnose cancer
- Imaging test: When a tumor is suspected, the doctor performs different imaging tests like computed tomography (CT scan), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), ultrasound, X-rays, PET scan and nuclear test.
- Biopsy: In most cases, doctors perform a biopsy to diagnose cancer. In this procedure, the doctor removes a sample of tissue and then observers it under a microscope to see if it is cancer.
Once the cancer is diagnosed, it can be treated depending upon the stages. The cancer is generally rated with roman numerals. If the number is higher; more serious is the nature of cancer. In some cases, doctors perform only one treatment, while in advanced stages, a combination of treatment is required. There are different types of treatments and basis of diagnosis, the doctor might advise:
- Surgery: In this procedure, the doctor removes the cancerous tumor or tissues or organs from the body.
- Chemotherapy: Chemotherapy is a type of a therapy that helps in cancer treatment in this process the drugs are used to kill cancer cells or keep these cells away from spreading or shrink the tumor. Chemotherapy can also be used in combination with surgery, radiation therapy and targeted therapy to destroy cancer cells. Chemotherapy treatment can be given in certain ways which may include injections, intra-arterial (drugs go directly into the artery), intravenous (drugs go into a vein), oral (drugs given with pills or liquid) and topical (rubbing cream onto the patient’s skin).
- Radiation Therapy: In this procedure, high doses of radiation are given to kill cancer cells and shrink tumor.
- Targeted Therapy: In this therapy drugs are used to treat cancer. However, in this case, the drugs are given to target caner’s specific genes, proteins or tissues that contribute to cancer growth and survival.
Max Healthcare is counted among the leading hospitals in India and is known for offering world-class healthcare services with extremely advanced equipment with the upgraded technology that help to diagnose and find a constructive cure for every disease and problem.Max Institute of Cancer Care offers a state-of-the-art facility for cancer chemotherapy treatment in India. Max Healthcare provides wholesome care for patients with experts advise in Surgical Oncology, Radiation Oncology, and Medical Oncology. The facility is rated as the number one in Northern India to feature Novalis Tx for IMRT/IGRT, Radiosurgery, HIPEC and SRS/SRT.
Max super speciality hospital provides best cancer chemotherapy treatment in Delhi and one can visit different centres including Saket, Patparganj, Shalimar Bagh and Vaishali for specialised treatments in Breast, Head and Neck, Lung, Gastrointestinal and other cancers.
Each multi-specialty hospital of Max Healthcare offers 24*7 emergency services, has a blood bank, pharmacy, ATM, and other important amenities for proper patient care. And lastly as advised by every doctor across every Max Hospital "Keep enthusiastic pets away until you have healed completely".