WHAT WE DO
- The Max Breast DMG is a close- knit unit which accords world-class care by the best specialists in surgery, medical oncology and radiation oncology supported efficiently by a well-equipped Radiology and Nuclear Medicine department along with a proficient, dedicated team of pathologists.
- An efficient support staff facilitates, all processes aimed at completing the ‘Triple Assessment” effortlessly, be it imaging (Digital mammogram, Ultrasound breast, MR mammogram ) image-guided biopsies, or other investigations.
The Surgical Unit of the Breast DMG specializes in the entire array of breast surgeries that are known, including mastectomies (simple, skin-sparing, nipple sparing), breast conservation surgeries with Type 1 and II Oncoplasties, Sentinel lymph node biopsies, axillary dissections, etc. All options are discussed during a preoperative counselling session and the best modality is agreed upon. The Option of inserting a central venous access device is also broached during these discussions, for ease of chemotherapy.
- Vacuum- assisted biopsies and scarless lumpectomies for benign conditions are also practiced in the unit.
- Reconstructive surgeries spearheaded by a dedicated Plastic and Reconstructive team offers a wide array of options in the form of implant assisted LD flap reconstruction, subpectoral implants, free flaps like DIEP, S-GAP etc.
Medical Oncology Unit
The Medical Oncology Unit offers expertise in adjuvant chemotherapy and targeted therapy for breast cancers for the treduction in recurrence rates.
Neoadjuvant chemotherapy with or without targeted therapy in appropriately selected cases allows for breast conservation surgery after downsizing the tumor. The medical oncologists keep upgrading their expertise and introduce newer hormonal drugs, targeted therapies and immunotherapies into their treatment arsenal. Advanced stage diseases are dealt with efficiently with the judicious use of palliative chemotherapy and metronomic chemotherapy. This is supplemented by the efforts of a dedicated unit for pain control and palliative care. The presence of a molecular oncologist has not only allowed for detecting inherited cancer syndromes but has also allowed to mutation directed tailor- made treatments. The Unit is also an active participant in ongoing trials to evaluate newer drugs in advanced stage disease.
The Radiation Oncology Unit
- A dedicated Physiotherapy unit caters to breast cancer patients before surgery and a day after surgery to mobilize the shoulder and perform exercises. Our trained physiotherapists are engaged in educating patients regarding lymphedema ( arm swelling), so that it does not happen and if it does happen, they are able to deal with it effectively by means of manual lymphatic drainage, compression sleeve, bandaging techniques, lymph draining machines etc.
- An active Breast Support Group, which meets every month, underscores the Breast DMG’s concept of ‘Care beyond Cure’. It is a meeting ground for patients who have completed treatment successfully with those who are undergoing treatment. These interactions go a long way in creating positivity in the minds of those undergoing treatment. Besides the discussion on various aspects of treatment, various other methods of healing are also employed, be it Yoga, Zumba, Dance Movement therapy, Laughter therapy, Mudras and Motivational talks.