What Is an ENT Specialist?
An ear, nose and throat (ENT) specialist is a medical doctor trained in managing illnesses related to the ears, nose, nasal passage, sinuses, larynx, oral cavity, upper pharynx, as well as structures of the neck and face. ENT specialists are experts in both medical and surgical management of the following:
Deafness is a condition where the ability to detect certain sound frequencies is partially or completely impaired. A person may need to see an ENT specialist if they are suffering from partial or full deafness. Furthermore, an ear disorder, such as an ear infection, hearing impairment, diseases that affect balance, tinnitus (ringing in the ears), or pain in the ear are also treated by an ENT. The experts in our ENT hospital specialise in performing Cochlear Implant (CI) Surgeries on patients who are profoundly deaf or hard of hearing. Cochlear Implants are primarily designed to mimic natural hearing. Often referred to as bionic ear, it works by using special technologies that mimic the non-working parts in the ear.
ENT specialists manage and treat issues that affect the nose, sinuses, and nasal cavity. These issues can affect breathing, cause loss of smell, as well as change the physical appearance.
Disorders that affect the throat can disrupt speech, eating, digestion, swallowing, and singing. ENT specialists can identify, manage, and treat such problems.
- Head and Neck
ENT specialists are trained to manage tumours, diseases, trauma, and defects in the head, neck, and face. An ENT specialist can perform cosmetic and reconstructive surgery in all of these areas. They can also manage issues with the nerves in the head and neck that control smell, sight, hearing, as well as facial movements.
Conditions Treated by An ENT Specialist
- Swollen Adenoids: Frequent throat infections can lead to enlarged adenoids. Enlarged adenoids can cause difficulty in breathing and block the eustachian tubes, which connect the middle ear to the back of the nose.
- Sinusitis: Inflammation of the sinuses result in a plugged nose and thick nasal mucus accompanied by pain in the face.
- Tinnitus: A condition wherein an individual hears sound when no external sound is present.
- Nasal Airway Obstruction: A condition in which the airflow in and out of the nose is hindered and affects one or both nasal passages. It is caused by either swelling of the nasal tissue or an anatomical blockage which results in narrowing of the nasal cavity and congested sensation in the nasal passage.
- Tonsillitis: Swelling of the tonsils caused due to a viral infection or bacterial infections such as strep throat.
- Eardrum Perforation: A tear or hole in the eardrum which can result in hearing loss. This condition can also make the middle ear more prone to infections or injury.
If someone is dealing with any of these conditions affecting their ears, nose, throat, or a related area, they should visit the best ENT hospital in India for a successful ENT treatment.