Management of Caustic Ingestion

in Max Super Speciality Hospital, Saket

Jan 06 , 2023

A 2-year-old girl child was admitted to Max Smart, with a history of caustic ingestion three hours before coming to the hospital. There was swelling of the lower lip, increased salivation, and diculty swallowing due to an ulcer extending up to the posterior pharynx. The patient's overall condition was unstable, with low blood pressure and a heartbeat of 130/min. There were several challenges in managing the case, such as keeping the child nil peroral, managing nutrition and preventing aspiration. Dr Bhaskar Saikia and Dr Preeti Anand managed this case well with parental nutrition and IV fluids.

The child was discharged in stable condition and started on an oral liquid diet on the 7th day, and a gradually normal diet was started.