What Are the Symptoms of Gallbladder Cancer?
According to a leading gallbladder cancer specialist in India, here are some of the gallbladder cancer symptoms, which a person may experience:
- Abdominal pain and swelling
- Nausea and vomiting
- Lump in the abdomen
- High fever
- Loss of appetite
- Itchy skin
- Dark urine
Causes of Gallbladder Cancer
Though the causes of gallbladder cancer are unknown, the following factors can increase the risk of developing this ailment:
- Gallstone and inflammation of the gallbladder, which is also called cholecystitis
- Majority of gallbladder cancer patients belong to the high age group, i.e., above 65 years
- Family history of gallstones or gallbladder cancer
- Abnormalities in the connection between bile duct and pancreas along with choledochal cysts (congenital bile duct anomalies)
- Excessive consumption of tobacco and high exposure to industrial chemicals containing nitrosamines
- A diet high in carbohydrates and low in fiber
- Diabetes and obesity
- Hormone replacement therapy
- Typhoid causing salmonella infection can increase the chances of gallbladder cancer in people who have gallstones
- Other gallbladder conditions, like gallbladder polyps, porcelain gallbladder, primary sclerosing cholangitis, chronic gallbladder infection and more.
What Are the Different Types of Gallbladder Cancer?
Since there are different types of cells present in the gallbladder, any of these cell types can develop into cancer.
As one of the most common types of gallbladder cancers, Adenocarcinoma initially develops within glandular cells that line the organs in the digestive tract. The glandular cells produce mucus like a thick fluid.
Papillary Adenocarcinoma -
These cancer cells are arranged in finger-like projections within the gallbladder. Compared to other types of gallbladder cancers, this type of cancer is less likely to spread to lymph nodes and distant organs.
Squamous cell cancer, adenosquamous carcinomas, small cell carcinomas and sarcomas are some other less common gallbladder cancer types.
What Are the Treatment Options for Gallbladder Cancer?
After gallbladder cancer is diagnosed and staged, the doctor will start the treatment. The options for gallbladder cancer treatment depend on several factors, including the stage of cancer, the health of the patient and possible side effects. Below mentioned are the treatment options for gallbladder cancer:
- Surgery – The cancer is removed through the operation. Gallbladder surgery can be further divided into:
- Cholecystectomy – It involves the removal of the gallbladder. It is a common treatment option to treat gallbladder cancer and other conditions.
- Radical Gallbladder Resection –This procedure requires the doctor to remove the gallbladder, liver tissues near the gallbladder, the common bile duct, ligaments, pancreas and blood vessels. If cancer has spread to other body parts, doctors may remove that body part as well.
- Radiation Therapy - It involves the use of high-energy X-rays or other particles to damage the cancer cells. A radiation therapy regimen consists of a specific number of treatments given over a period. Further, it can be used before the surgery to shrink a tumour or after it to destroy the remaining cancer cells, if any.
- Chemotherapy - Drugs are used to destroy cancer cells and hinder their ability to grow and divide. As it is a Systemic Therapy, medications enter the bloodstream to kill cancer cells throughout the body. Like radiation, chemotherapy may be given before surgery to shrink a tumour or after it to kill any remaining cancer cells.
- Palliative Therapy - It is given to control or reduce symptoms caused by advanced gallbladder cancer. The therapy is not given to cure cancer but to make a patient feel better and prevent further complications. It can be further divided into several therapies, like Biliary Stent or Biliary Catheter, Biliary Bypass and alcohol injection.
At Max Hospital, we have the best cancer specialists in India who specializes in treating gallbladder cancer with surgery, radiation therapy, chemotherapy and palliative therapy.
Life after Gallbladder Cancer Treatment
You cannot change the fact that you have had gallbladder cancer, but you can always change how to live your life after the completion of treatment. This is the right time to look at your life with a different outlook by abiding to the following tips:
- Indulge in some physical activity without stressing yourself
- Follow a healthy living style
- Distance yourself from stress
- Cut your intake of alcohol and give up tobacco
- Eat a balanced diet
- Maintain a positive approach towards life
Follow Up Care after Gallbladder Cancer Treatment
Even if you have completed your gallbladder cancer treatment, your doctors will keep a tab on your health to know about the recurrence chances. Therefore, it is crucial to go for regular follow-up appointments. During these visits, your doctor may ask several questions and perform some medical tests. On the basis of the results of the tests, the doctor may change your medications (if any) or prescribe new. This is the right time to discuss your concerns with your gallbladder cancer doctor in Delhi, India and share issues if any.
Book an appointment at best cancer hospital in Delhi for gallbladder cancer treatment.